Menu Help & How To Video Simulation Game Document & Resources Training Link Tag Search clock thumbs-up angle-up

Locating Military Personnel

There are a few things caseworkers can do to locate information for military personnel, veterans, or civilians who are employed by a branch of the military.

A first step would be to check FCRL for quarterly wage (QW) information for civilians employed by the military. For active duty personnel, try the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) website where searches can be made for single or multiple records. All that is needed to use this website is the SSN and/or birthdate of the individual you are seeking information on. Multiple record requests can be made, but, unlike the single record request, an account is required to use this service.

Once it is determined that the individual you are looking for is listed in the military and the branch, you can check the branch’s World Wide Locator and request information. Unfortunately, the Coast Guard and the U.S. Army have discontinued reporting on their members through World Wide Locator. But, the U.S. Navy provides an address you can write to for information on individuals. The U.S. Airforce World Wide Locator provides more information on the service and how to use it. Their Locator service is also a manual process, rather than internet-based.

On the Child Support Portal (CSP) you can run a Department of Defense (DOD) Entitlement Online request. Results of this request will provide any DOD entitlement data for active military and reservist participants in IV-D cases.

For any former military member, send a request through CSP, checking the box Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA). Your request will result in information about retirement and income. Be careful to select the DVA box, not the DOD box. Selecting the DOD box in your request will return no result for a veteran. That is why the DVA box is checked.

Some useful websites for finding individuals in the military are:
the Office of Child Support Enforcement: Working with the Military on Child Support Matters, the CSED pages devoted to dealing with individuals in the military and child support issues.
and the U.S. Government Locate Military Members, Units, and Facilities, a resource for locating military personnel and installations.

The following are contacts you can use for help in finding individuals enlisted in the military or who are civilians who work for the military.

Air Force

1420 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1420
Phone: 703-697-0413

Office of the Judge Advocate General

Attention: DAJA-LA
2200 Army Pentagon
Washington, DC 20310
Phone: 571-256-7997

Coast Guard

  • For Coast Guard military personnel:
    Commanding Officer (LGL)
    U.S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center
    444 SE Quincy Street
    Topeka, KS 66683-3591
    Phone: 785-339-3592 or 3595 (for questions)
    Fax: 785-339-3788
  • For Coast Guard civilian personnel:
    National Finance Center
    Pay Tech Section Post D-41
    13800 Old Gentilly Road
    New Orleans, LA 70129

Marine Corps

Office of the Judge Advocate General (Code 16)

Washington Navy Yard
1322 Patterson Avenue, SE, Suite 3000
Washington, DC 20374-5066
Phone: 202-685-4637