When a Custodial Person (CP) has been paid on two IV-A assistance cases, you must combine the Unreimbursed Assistance (URA) balances. You must manually move all benefits from the older assistance case to the newer assistance case.
The basic steps to complete this action are listed below:
- Benefits Expended –
- First, you will note the total benefits expended under the older assistance case, ignoring any retained amounts listed.
- Next, you will manually remove this amount from the older assistance cases using the URAADJB screen.
- After the benefits from the old assistance case have been removed, you will manually add the benefits to the newer assistance case using the URAADJB screen again (using the new assistance case).
- Retained Adjustments –
- Once all the benefits expended have been moved to the newest assistance case, you must note any retained adjustments as well. If payments were retained prior to OSIS (recorded on KR20), they were manually added to the URA through a retained adjustment. If it is not a KR20 adjustment, you must verify the validity of the retained adjustment before adjusting the URA with your user ID stamp.
- Once you have verified that the retained adjustments must be credited to the newer assistance case, they need to be removed from the older assistance case using URAADJR screen.
- Next, you will access the URAADJR screen again (for the newer assistance case) to manually credit the receipt adjustments to the new assistance case.
- Cross Referencing –
- Now that the new assistance case reflects all benefits expended and any receipt adjustments for both cases, you must now remove the cross reference tie between the FGN and the old assistance case by excluding the FGN by using the XRU screen.
- Once the cross reference has been removed, you must check CCPU screen to ensure that the newest assistance case is entered in the Reference Case and Person ID fields. These fields must be updated on CCPU in order to cross reference the new assistance case to the FGN.
- Finally, the newest assistance case can be cross referenced to the FGN by again using the XRU screen and adding the FGN, CP Sequence Number, and Type of Benefit. Once the FGN is cross referenced with the newest assistance case, all retained receipts will automatically credit to the newly combined URA.
For a more complete picture, the entire action showing updates to OSIS screens is presented in How to Combine C_H Cases – URA Balances from Two IV-A Cases.
You may also want to review the CSQuest article Complex URA Verification TANF on More Than 1 C/H Number.