Menu Help & How To Video Simulation Game Document & Resources Training Link Tag Search clock thumbs-up angle-up

‘Placement’ Non-Funded Kinship Foster Care

Non-Funded Kinship Placement

If a child is in kinship placement and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or foster care payments are not being expended:

  • The kinship foster parent (new custodial person [CP]) is added to the case
  • The CHU screen is updated to show DHS (D) custody
  • A separate obligation should be built and balances for the CP’s custody time period should be added.
  • Current support issues to the kinship CP
  • Review receipt history to determine if a Finance Action Request should be sent to issue receipts to the new CP, creating a bad debt if necessary.
  • These cases require close monitoring to prevent a CP from being overpaid once they become foster care certified.

NOTE: Because there is a foster care medical referral, an application for services is not necessary for a non-funded kinship parent.

Because of the medical referral, an E or F case type could be present on CSML, even though foster care benefits are not being expended. Balances and/or receipt adjustments may be necessary. These cases can be handled two different ways:

  • Request a Bypass Flag update* by the Center for Finance and Budget (CFB) to prevent the case type from automatically updating E or F or;
  • Monitor the case monthly to avoid overpayments. A Finance Action Request may be required in order to issue current support.

*For explanation of the Bypass Flag update, see Juvenile Finance Glossary reference document.