Menu Help & How To Video Simulation Game Document & Resources Training Link Tag Search clock thumbs-up angle-up

Kinship Placement with TANF, No Funding, Foster Care

The following information provides guidance for ensuring monies are allocated correctly when a child(ren) is in Kinship Placement.


Per the Kinship Placement Instructions to Staff, the kinship placement is told that they can apply for Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) until they complete the requirements to receive foster care payments.

When the kinship/relative placement is receiving TANF for the child(ren), but they are still active in a deprived case, the Custodial Person (CP) should still be updated as the Department of Human Services (DHS), and the payee on the TANF case should be the CP on the Child Support case. See How to Determine the Correct CP when a Child is in DHS Custody. For the months the CP is receiving TANF, there should be a separate obligation built for this CP. Since the TANF stipend is $87 per child, any child support above that amount should issue to the CP if they do not have existing Unreimbursed Assistance (URA).

A common problem that occurs is when Adult and Family Services are not notified when kinship/relative placement has become eligible to receive foster care payments. This causes an overlap in the two funding sources, TANF and Foster Care. One of the reasons it is a concern for Child Support is once the placement begins receiving Foster Care payments, the child support should begin retaining as E or F.
Foster Care payments are much more than TANF. You may be the one that has to let both foster care and family support know of the overlap or foster care overpayment so TANF will close and your case will cross‐reference with an E or F case type. If medical has been active on the TANF case, you also may need to notify the medical custody specialist responsible for restarting the foster care medical case so that the Child Support case can be cross referenced correctly and will show an F or E case type.

It is a good idea to find a way to track and monitor these cases. If TANF stops and the case is not cross‐referenced with the foster care medical care, the child support payments will continue to issue to the kinship/placement, causing an overpayment.

No Funding

If you receive a Change in Placement Notification form from Child Welfare (CW) that is identified as a Kinship Placement and there is not active TANF, it would be a good idea to put the case on a calendar or list to monitor. Some Kinship Placements do not apply for TANF and these cases are non‐funded until/if they complete their requirements to receive foster care payments. Some placements do not ever receive TANF or Foster Care payments. As with any other child support case the child support follows the child; therefore, if the placement is not receiving funding they are owed the child support. A non‐ funded placement should be added as a CP and receive the current support for any months they do not receive TANF or foster care payments. (An OBL should be built for this CP and the CP cross‐referenced on the CHU screen with a D in the Custody Status to show that you are still aware it is an ongoing deprived case.)

These cases will have an E or F case type as the child should remain active on the foster care medical case and the child support will automatically retain. You will have to manually change balance case types and request State Office (STO) Finance to issue the payments to the CP. You can also request STO Finance to set a flex on the case so that the payments will auto issue, but you have to request STO Finance remove the flex for payments to stop issuing when the child is no longer in this home. If you do not do this, it can result in overpayments to the CP. If a flex is set on a case, you should monitor it monthly.
The other thing to remember on these cases is that after both training stipends are on the Foster Care Inquiry Form, it is most likely foster payments will begin. Foster payments will not show on the Foster Care Inquiry Form until the third week of the following month.

Foster Care

Once the placement begins receiving foster care payments, the child support should retain. The CM screen should be active medical. Under PR (payee relationship) on the far right of the screen shown here, there is an R for Carri (removed) and a C for Bailey. A child in custody will have a C or 4 for payee relationship).

The F130 block should be 05 (temporary OKDHS custody) or 06 (permanent OKDHS custody).

If your case is not cross‐referencing correctly and it is not an E or F case type, the F130 block is more than likely not correctly updated. If it is not, contact the Custody Specialist and request that it be updated.

Trial Reunification

The child is placed with the parent when the court makes the determination the parent has made sufficient progress on their treatment plan. The F130 block should be updated to 50. Child support issues to the parent if not on TANF.

If you are aware the child is in trial reunification and the F130 block is not updated to 50, you will need to contact the custody specialist assigned to the foster care medical case.


If placing the children back in the home with the parents is not an option and the parents and kinship placement are agreeable, the court will sometimes place the children in guardianship in a home to give them a permanent placement. Some of these guardianships are supported permanency plans.

The CM screen here shows a supported permanency code.

The CK/A code under Benefits Status for Person Number 6 is the code for a supported permanency plan or it might also be referred to as a supported guardianship. When the C/H case is cross‐referenced with the child support case, this will show as a C case type, and is considered TANF and will build URA. The BN1 screen for this case reflects the supported permanency payments.

These payments are more than the regular TANF grant and continue for the length of time the child remains in the guardianship.

Other Things to Remember

A placement is only eligible to receive one funding source (e.g., SSI for the child, TANF, or Foster Care). If the placement is receiving more than one source of funding, you should notify Family Support and Child Welfare. This is important to us so that our cases will cross‐reference with the correct case type.

If placement on eKIDS is a shelter or group home, monthly payments will not show on AS400, but these are funded placements and should be charged as E or F time periods.

Another Screen

A DA search is also a good screen to use for research of benefits as some clients have more than one DCN, and C/H cases will sometimes be on this screen when they are difficult to find in other searches.